Search This Blog

Apr 13, 2010

One, Two.....Free?

Ohmagawd!!! My funny little boy just turned FREE!!! Yes... FREE!! I can't believe how the time has flown by. It seems like just yesterday bla bla bla. OHHH MY GAWD HE'S 3!!

Our dear little baby is no longer a baby. When I tucked him in to bed on his third birthday and said "happy Birthday, baby. I love you". He replied "Mommy, I'm not your baby any more. I'm free. I'm a really big boy". I fought tears and walked back over to him putting my hands on his cheeks I  looked him dead in the eyes and told him "Beauchene, you will always be my baby" he smiled and told me I was silly then rolled over.

Later that night when I was laying in bed recapping the wonderful day in my head I got to thinking... He's right, he's not my baby any more. He is 3 going on 13... He wants to be FREE! What can I do to let him be free? How can I let my little 3 year old be free? Roots & Wings - thats it! David and I have a hard job in front of us. Thankfully it is the most rewarding job in the world. It is up to us to raise this baby *cough,cough* "big boy" properly. He needs to know where he came from. He needs to know he is loved. He needs constant attention and praise for is beautiful accomplishments. He needs to know his roots!

When I think of parents giving their children freedom and wings I am reminded of myself being so totally frustrated as a teenager. I didn't understand why my parents had such a hard time with me doing things on my own. Now that I am a mother, I never imagined that I would have to fix those wings up this early. But, the truth is, we do. It's so important for B to feel accomplished and proud of doing things on his own.

Beauchene is a very independent little boy. I try not to be one of  "those mothers" that hovers. (David calls em 'choppers') constantly over their child. I think we do a pretty good job of letting him find trouble and letting him find his own way out (of course, always watching out for his and others safety). I guess for some reason, this third birthday just seemed bigger than the rest. At least for now with bis big boy roots and his big boy wings he always has a nest to come home to... for the next 15 years anyways! (BAHHHH... only 15 more yea

"You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go!"
-Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment